Friday, May 24, 2013

Author Tara Chevrestt's Ride for Rights


I am pleased to welcome talented author Tara Chevrestt to the Girls Succeed Blog. I read her historical fiction book, Ride for Rights, and loved it so much I invited her to tell us the story behind the inspiration for the story that takes place in 1916.

Historical fiction

Back Cover:

In the summer of 1916 women do not have the right to vote, let alone be motorcycle dispatch riders. Two sisters, Angeline and Adelaide Hanson are determined to prove to the world that not only are women capable of riding motorbikes, but they can ride motorbikes across the United States. Alone.

From a dance hall in Chicago to a jail cell in Dodge City, love and trouble both follow Angeline and Adelaide on the dirt roads across the United States. The sisters shout their triumph from Pike’s Peak only to end up lost in the Salt Lake desert.

Will they make it to their goal of Los Angeles or will too many mishaps prevent them from reaching their destination and thus, hinder their desire to prove that women can do it?


The Story Behind the Ride for Rights by Tara Chevrestt

In the fall of 2010, my husband and I took a vacation to South Dakota and of course, we had to hit the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum. (My husband is a biker through and through.)
  
Adeline VanBuren
While browsing this ultra cool museum (that I originally didn't want to go to as I wanted to walk thru a Victorian house instead!), I came across some information about two fascinating "biker chics" in American history, Augusta and Adeline Van Buren. Here is their website: Van Buren Sisters Website
 In 1916, these remarkable sisters decided to ride their motorbikes from New York to Los Angeles. Keep in mind, the highway system had not yet been built... They donned trousers, jumped on their Indians, and they rode to prove that women could be motorcycle dispatch riders.

The real-life women went from Buffalo to Chicago to Omaha to Denver, up Pike's Peak, to Salt Lake, Reno, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego.

I was excited by this information and I rushed to find my husband and I said to him, "I am gonna find a book on them as soon as I get back to my laptop!" And I did search for a book on them and much to my dismay, I didn't find one. And so I said, "I'm gonna write one!" This is how Ride was born.

Augusta VanBuren
In Ride for Rights, a fiction novel loosely based on the amazing Van Buren sisters, Angeline and Adelaide Hanson undergo a similar journey (with different twists and turns) as they travel from Buffalo to Detroit... to Chicago where they are dance hall girls for a night... to Peoria, Illinois... to St. Louis where they join a touring Suffrage movement to Kansas City where they have a run in with some unfriendly fellows. From Kansas City, the Hanson's head to Dodge and they have problems with the local sheriff. See, women didn't wear trousers much back then....




Like the real Van Burens, Angeline and Adelaide summit Pike's Peak. The real sisters did this ride only weeks after the road was opened.

Glen Eyrie Castle
The Ride for Rights sisters spend some down time in a castle called Glen Eyrie and then head on to the Salt Lake desert where they get lost... and oh somebody finds them... but is it really a rescuer??

I don't wish to reveal too much of the story so I'm stopping here, but I cannot stress to everyone enough...check out the real Van Buren sisters’ website. It's truly amazing what the real women accomplished. They are now in the AMA Hall of Fame and the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame.

Bob Van Buren, a descendant of the Van Buren sisters, says, "Although Ms. Chevrestt’s creative tale of these two women is purely fictional, she has accurately captured the spirit and challenges that the Van Buren sisters experienced in their journey in 1916."

I can't possibly express my joy and gratitude to have a descendant of those amazing women say something like that about my work.

Please note once again that Ride is a work of fiction and though I used the real life sisters' ride as a basis, everything that happens to the Hansons is a figment of my imagination. An author's note in the back of the novel separates all facts from fiction.

Ride for Rights is available on MuseItUp, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.

Blurb:
In the summer of 1916 women do not have the right to vote, let alone be motorcycle dispatch riders. Two sisters, Angeline and Adelaide Hanson are determined to prove to the world that not only are women capable of riding motorbikes, but they can ride motorbikes across the United States. Alone.
From a dance hall in Chicago to a jail cell in Dodge City, love and trouble both follow Angeline and Adelaide on the dirt roads across the United States. The sisters shout their triumph from Pike’s Peak only to end up lost in the Salt Lake desert.
Will they make it to their goal of Los Angeles or will too many mishaps prevent them from reaching their destination and thus, hinder their desire to prove that women can do it?
***
Tara Chevrestt is a deaf woman, former aviation mechanic, dog mom, writer, and editor. You’ll never see her without her Kindle or a book within reach. As a child, she would often take a flashlight under the covers to finish the recent Nancy Drew novel when she was supposed to be sleeping.
Tara is addicted to Law & Order: SVU, has a crush on Cary Grant, laughs at her own jokes, and is constantly modifying
recipes and experimenting in the kitchen. She writes about strong women facing obstacles—in the military, with their handicaps, or just learning to accept themselves. Her heroines can stand alone and take care of themselves, but they often find love in the process.

13 comments:

  1. Ride For Rights sounds like a great book. I've added it to my book wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This absolutely sounds wonderful, and no, I didn't know/hear anything on these two amazing sisters who inspired your story. And what a thrill to have a descendant compliment your work so highly! :)

    I, too, enjoyed Nancy's adventures and dreamed of living some just like her. Never happened, so what did I do? I dreamed up my own adventures in my stories of romantic mysteries. :)

    Very nice to meet you, Tara, and the best on this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM...I guess it's true we do live our adventures through our characters. And you have quite an adventure in Ahoy Gum Drop Island...LOL..Thanks for stopping!

      Delete
    2. Miss Mae, thanks for the nice comment. I hope you have great success with your stories.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, and thank you to our host for hosting me.

      Delete
    3. You are so welcome, Tara. Love this book!

      Delete
  4. Hi Susanne and Suzanne...So glad you came to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding this to my TBR pile on Goodreads. Sounds like a great story about some great women. And that is TOO COOL that an actual descendant gave you such high praise! I'd be tickled pink :)

    Best wishes,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Beth. I hope you enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful story, Tara! Very inspiring. I want to read this one. Hope you're working on another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the historical touches like the clothing, quaint sayings,the events..It's fun to see what life was like almost 100 years ago..

      Delete